Tuesday 6 March 2012

Back Home

After the excitement of the weekend I am back to reality and doing what I love best, BAKING!!!

Things at the weekend went a little astray and I never did get around the that baking session, so today is another day and here we go again!!



I have always made a habit of writing in a little book recipes that I use on a regular basis and recipes I have done and liked as I always forget where I have seen them and can never repeat it.

I have a abundance of lovely eggs at the moment so, I decided to make a lovely Egg Custard Tart. Just look at the colour of those eggs, so orange and bright. I always despair when the chickens go off the lay, shop bought eggs just don't have the same colour or taste, even if I do buy the supposedly 'organic free range' variety.


So with pastry case blind baking in the oven I made the filling and then carefully, carefully poured it into the baked crispy case, and after a quick spritz of freshly ground nutmeg into the oven it went until it was cooked. 


I usually can tell when its done as when I move the case it gives a little wobbly shake.
When it came out of the oven it had shall we say a homemade rustic look, but thats just how I like it! I will leave it to go cold then put in the fridge to chill and later have a piece with pouring of cream over.



Next onto replenishing the biscuit tin. This time I used just a basic biscuit recipe of:-

8oz Softened butter
4oz Caster Sugar
10oz Plain flour
a few drops of vanilla

This is a wonderful basic recipe and you can add whatever you like to spice it up a bit. In the past I have added some grated lemon zest and poppy seeds and dried cranberries and then dipped in white chocolate, YUMMY!!

Cream the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy, then add the flour and mix until it forms into a dough.

Today I divided the mixture up into three and left 1 lot plain, the second lot I added some mixed spice and the third lot I put in some sugary coated little golden nuggets of crystallised ginger which I chopped into small pieces. After a quick sprinkle of flour, a sweep of the rolling pin I was soon cutting away and piling baking trays into the oven. They take about 15 minutes to cook.
When they had cooled on the baking tray I melted a few squares of dark chocolate I had left and dunked some of the little devils into the silky smooth depths of the glistening chocolate and hey presto!





The washing up is done, my biscuit tin is full and I am now ready to do the school run to collect the children.
What a treat it will be for them to come home to the smell and taste of lovely homemade goodies, I feel so good that I can provide them with something to eat where I know exactly what is in them and that only the best ingredients have been used and that there are no preservatives or additives. JOY :)

Claire xx


No comments:

Post a Comment